When situations arise that are willfully wrong, there are individuals and organizations which, thankfully, try to right the wrong.
Some wrongs warranting strong efforts for change include the following:
- The Abortion Pill
The abortion pill doesn’t just kill the child in the womb, but also, undeniably, causes harm, even death, to the mother. She is required to suffer and bleed alone at home without assistance during this process.
The abortion pill is a vicious, unconscionable attack on women for the profit of the abortion/pharmaceutical industry. Fortunately, efforts are now being undertaken to do something to stop this terrible wrong.
- Four US medical associations have filed a brief in US Federal Court, in February, 2023, to oppose the abortion pill. These organizations are the Alliance for Hippocratic Medicine, the American Association of Pro-Life Obstetricians and Gynecologists, the American College of Pediatricians, and the Christian Medical and Dental Association.
These associations are arguing that the US Federal Drug Agency (FDA) never studied the safety of the drug, ignored the impact of hormones on the bodies of adolescent girls, disregarded substantial evidence on the harms caused by the drugs, and terminated the necessary safeguards for pregnant women.
The FDA has admitted that it relied on only a single study that had evaluated the safety and effectiveness of the drug. The FDA had approved the abortion pill by incorrectly characterizing pregnancy as an “illness” and arguing inaccurately that the abortion drugs provided a “meaningful therapeutic benefit”.
- Twenty-two US State Attorneys General have intervened in the abortion lawsuit, arguing that the FDA had improperly approved the abortion pill. The state Attorneys General also have objected to the distribution of the pill by mail, which they claim is a violation of state laws.
- Thirteen US Senators and fifty-four members of the House of Representatives have intervened in the same lawsuit challenging the FDA’s approval of the abortion pill.
- Twenty US State Attorneys General have warned the pharmacies, Walgreens, CVS, and Rite AID, which are planning to sell the abortion pill, that “consequences will follow”, since the pharmacies were violating state laws by selling the pill. The letter stated: “we emphasize that it is our responsibility as State Attorneys General to uphold the law and protect the health, safety, and well-being of women and unborn children in our states”. Walgreens operates 8,086 stores in the US, CVS has more than 9,000, and Rite AID has 2,285 locations.
- The Texas Attorney General has filed a lawsuit against US President Biden’s Department of Health and Human Services over the agency’s guidance to distribute the abortion pill regardless of state law.
- An online petition from a Washington, DC based Family Research Council addressed to the pharmacies distributing the abortion pill, received 15,000 signatures in the first 24 hours. It demanded that the pharmacies not become part of the abortion industry. Should the pharmacies refuse to halt sales of the abortion pill, further steps, including boycotting these stores, will be undertaken by US pro-life advocates. Attacking the pocketbooks of the shareholders of the pharmacies is effective, as indicated by the recent downfall of the Disney Corporation because of its promotion of homosexuality and transgenderism in its programming. The successful boycott of Disney productions is indicated by the drastic decrease in Disney’s shares on the stock market.
- In Canada, Campaign Life Coalition has launched a petition to the federal government requesting that the abortion pill be withdrawn. Please sign the petition at ca/banabortionpill and circulate it to your family members and friends.
- Gardasil Vaccine
In July 2006, the drug Gardasil, manufactured by the US drug company Merck Frosst, was approved for use by Health Canada. The drug was touted by the manufacturer as a preventative for cervical cancer caused by the Human Papilloma Virus (HPV). The latter can only be transmitted through sexual activity. It is the most common sexually transmitted virus. HPV is usually harmless, typically disappears within two years, and most infected individuals do not even know they had the disease.
One wouldn’t know this from the intense marketing carried out at breakneck speed by Merck in 2006. There wasn’t a physician’s office in Canada that didn’t have a huge poster promoting the drug for young girls. Merck Frosst grossed over $1.1 billion (USD) within nine months after hitting the market with Gardasil.
REAL Women expressed its concerns about this largely untested drug as did some health officials who were concerned about the drug being offered without proper scientific, pharmacological, and economic research. Also, all the clinical trials of the drug were carried out solely by the manufacturer on only 1,200 girls in the targeted group of 9 – 15 year olds. As well, trials were monitored for a mere 18 months. There was good reason for concern.
Seventeen years after Merck Frosst developed the Gardasil vaccine, the drug company has been inundated with hundreds of lawsuits because of the harm it’s caused. There are so many lawsuits before the US courts that it was necessary for the court system to consolidate all the cases in August 2022 so that they can be heard together in 2023. The plaintiffs claim that the pharmaceutical giant Merck fast-tracked Gardasil through the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approval process by deceptively conducting clinical trials that masked previous side effects, and exaggerated the vaccine’s effectiveness.
Distributing Untested Drugs
There is a similarity in Gardasil and the abortion pill promotion, and legal challenges have arisen over their distribution. Both drugs must be removed from the marketplace to protect the public from harm, including even death.
Greed and ideology are responsible for the sale of these drugs, carelessly made available to an unknowing public.