Ottawa June 22, 2016
What are the Liberals thinking legalizing marijuana?
Is it possible that the Liberal government, and in particular the Minister of Health Jane Philpott, doesn’t know what’s on their own website?
Apparently not. Health Canada has posted on its website a document updated December 2015 which lists warnings about the use of marijuana.
RE: Health Canada / Consumer Information / Cannabis (Marihuana/marijuana)
The tidbits offered by Health Canada include:
- Cannabis contains hundreds of substances, some of which can affect the proper functioning of the brain and central nervous system.
- The use of this product involves risks to health, some of which may not be known or fully understood. Studies supporting the safety and efficacy of cannabis for therapeutic purposes are limited and do not meet the standard required by the Food and Drug Regulations for marketed drugs in Canada.
- Smoking cannabis is not recommended. Do not smoke or vapourize cannabis in the presence of children.
- Using cannabis or any cannabis product can impair your concentration, your ability to think and make decisions, and your reaction time and coordination. This can affect your motor skills, including your ability to drive. It can also increase anxiety and cause panic attacks, and in some cases cause paranoia and hallucinations.
- Cognitive impairment may be greatly increased when cannabis is consumed along with alcohol or other drugs which affect the activity of the nervous system (e.g. opioids, sleeping pills, other psychoactive drugs)
The warning goes on to list specifically when cannabis should never be used by anyone:
- under the age of 25
- has serious liver, kidney, heart or lung disease
- has a personal or family history of serious mental disorder such as schizophrenia, psychosis, depression, or bipolar disorder
- is pregnant, are planning to get pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- is a man who wishes to start a family
- have a history of alcohol or drug abuse or substance dependence
Note: the warning if you are pregnant or planning to get pregnant. How many mothers will be horrified to learn the risks their baby will face because long term use can negatively impact the behavioural and cognitive development of children born to them because they used cannabis?
Note: the warning about a man who wishes to start a family! How many young men will find out the hard way after using marijuana that their sperm count, concentration and motility may be reduced and risk increased abnormal sperm morphology (size and shape)?
Negligence of the Liberal Government
The Liberal government is both negligent and irresponsible by its proposal to decriminalize marijuana. It’s unfortunate that the Liberals didn’t check their own website before announcing this reckless policy.
Although the document refers to the use of cannabis for medical reasons, it states that, “There is no scientifically defined dose of cannabis for any specific medical condition”.
It would seem that the Liberals put ideology and progressive policies before common sense and medical facts. Facts which they so frankly post on their website.
– 30 –