Ottawa, Ontario March 11, 2021
End Sex-Selective Abortion
Please sign e-Petition 3161 to the House of Commons
BEFORE April 10, 2021 at 9:12 AM
The absence of any legal restrictions to abortion in Canada has led to procedures which are contrary to Canada’s foundational values.
One of these is eliminating girls in the womb by abortion because the parents prefer a boy. This is unacceptable in a civilized society.
Please indicate your support for MP Cathay Wagantall’s Private Member’s Bill C-233 to end sex-selective abortions by adding your name to this e-petition to the House of Commons.
Petition to the House of Commons in Parliament Assembled:
- Sex-selective abortion is legal, as Canada has no legal restrictions on abortion;
- Sex-selective abortion is antithetical to our commitment to equality between men and women;
- A 2019 DART & Maru/Blue poll, conducted for the National Post, showed that 84% of Canadians believe it should be illegal to have an abortion if the family does not want the child to be of a certain sex;
- International organizations including the World Health Organization, United Nations Women, and United Nations Children’s Fund have identified unequal sex ratios at birth as a growing problem internationally; and
- Canada’s health care profession recognizes sex selection as a problem.
We, the undersigned, Citizens of Canada, call upon the House of Commons in Parliament assembled to pass a Criminal Code prohibition of sex-selective abortion.